Friday, August 24, 2012

Dhundred announced

Hey Dredlings,
Kates birthday has pulled me away from SD beta admin this weekend, so I found myself with a lot of thinking time about my next project. With my nuke classes wrapping at AFTRS and beta 3.3 going into testing, I have a little window to get stuck into something fresh and exciting.
I was going to dive into Stardred, but as this will be built on Skulldred its best to wait until one is locked down before building the
other. Likewise expansion material is pointless.
After I tackled a mental exercise 'how I would save the DnD license' on my kingsminis blog, I started to tinker with the idea of a totally streamlined, maths lite ruleset that invoked the classic retro rpg feel but without the clunky old retroclone mechanics.
After a three hour car trip flew by as I frantically scribbled down notes it became apparent I was hooked on the idea and it was bearing a lot of juicy mind fruit. Thus is a game I want to play. Right now.
So as of today I am announcing my very next development project after Skulldred is project codename 'Dhundred'- the fantasy rpg.
Dhd will be built around a percentile dice mechanic that carries across the whole game mechanic from casting spells to figuring damage. It will not have any tables for game mechanics (but it will have random generation tables for fun outcomes), and like skulldred, dice outcomes are known the moment the dice settle.
But skulldred first!

3 comments:

  1. Kingdave, why do you insist on blowing my mind practically every week? This makes three of your releases that I can't wait to get my hands on. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Focus! I am definitely up for Dhundred, though. And you can NEVER have enough random generation tables for fun outcomes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol- of course. I do want to stress Dhundred is my NEXT project. Once I hit publish on Skulldred I am diving right in boots and all.

    But this weekend away has been a really fruitful designing session on Dhun. Wading through all the various ad&d editions, pathfinder, spin offs and retro clone stuff has been fascinating. Its really interesting to see what perceived problems are targeted and how solutions vary from decade to decade.
    I can see how players are attracted backwards to the simplicity of early editions but then encounter the limitations and clunkiness that later games grew from.
    Take something as simple as going up levels and pc death. You die, your party loot your good stuff, you return as a 1st level pc then cannot enjoy the game as your mates rush around a 15th level scenario. A basic flaw.
    What to do? You want your players to feel they are advancing and growing in power, you want to reward them throughout the game for good play and also want death to be unpleasant enough that it is feared.
    See? Juicy stuff for a games designer to tackle.
    Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete