Tuesday, February 8, 2011

BETA 2.0 is here!

Ta-da!
Skulldred beta 2.0 is now available in the download section.  This new edition combines several game mechanics into one with the introduction of the action dice mechanic.  I hope you find it elegant.

I have stripped it back until I am sure the core mechanics are purring along.
The action dice is just a regular D6 with stickers applied.  It should read 2, 2, 1, 3 and have two wild sides.  Use any symbol you like.  When the wild result is rolled and the model is not under the influence of a leader, it falls back on its 'wild side'.  Some models panic, some go catatonic, some remain stalwart- others go beserk!

The action dice.  Customise your own with some stickers.

New Character cards
Beta 2.0 also returns the dice to traditional D6, after several play testers found it gave too much variance in the results given.  Its a shame, because all those hit/miss dice where very pretty and it made the game extremely easy to teach.  However, its important to have calculated risks and sure bets!

I wanted to give a big shout out to Andy Skinner, who totally blew me away with the amount and minute detail of his feedback- the guy is an editing machine!  Its thanks to Andy that Beta 2.0 no longer uses rules lists, sticking instead to plain English sentences instead.  I think it reads so much smoother now.  Cheers Andy, I hope you continue to put me in my place :)

Another shout out to Christian, from lead Adventure, who I got to meet at CANCON!  Christian and I are going to meet at some stage and have a few games of Skulldred at some point.  I did have an early copy of beta 2 floating around, but someone accidentally left with it mid show.  Next year I am planning on having a full demo game table for people to come and play!

Well, I have to get back to things other than Skulldred for a few weeks, so hopefully that should give you all some time to have a read and hopefully a play.  I may be off the PC for a while too, so please forgive me if I do not respond on the forum for a bit!

I hope you like it!

Dave

2 comments:

  1. Great news - I'll give it a go asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here via Thatsants, and interested in the system - will download and, perchance, at some point in the very distant future, test.

    ReplyDelete